Alliance Hotel's location is the starting point for your exploration of Ypres city centre. The beautiful city with its Cloth Halls, Belfry, In Flanders Fields Museum, St Martin's Cathedral, Menin Gate, Last Post ceremony, Lille Gate and Ramparts Cemetery...
The Cloth Hall served as a covered sales and storage place for cloth on the (now vaulted) waterway called the Ieperlee. The construction of the Cloth Hall was completed in 1304. In this building the cloth underwent its last official control, after which the cloth salesmen could stock and sell.
The In Flanders Fields Museum confronts the visitor with the consequences of the Great War. Old and young are faced with life and death in the Ypres front region.Website
The cathedral is a former Episcopal church in Gothic style reconstructed after the First World War. Bishop Jansenius and Court Robert of Bethune, the ‘Lion of Flanders', are buried here. The cathedral is open to the public, except during masses.Website
The Menin Gate is the most famous Commonwealth war memorial in Flanders. It was built in classic style after the design by Sir Reginald Blomfield. It stands on the site of the old Antwerp Gate. Tens of thousands of soldiers passed through this gate on the way to the front. Many of them never to return.Website
Every evening at 8pm precisely, the "Last Post" has been sounded since 1928 under the imposing arches of the Menin Gate. From January 1st through December 31st and in all weather conditions the buglers of the Last Post Association sound the "Last Post". On November 11th at 11 am a special Last Post ceremony takes place to commemorate Armistice.Website
Of all the city gates only the original rooms of the Lille Gate were preserved.
The gate was renovated several times. Vauban had the towers lowered and the moat widened. The Burgundian towers stand next to the bridge, the 14th century lock room and Gatekeeper's house. The elegant arched bridge was already built at the end of the 19th century.
This small cemetery is the only CWGC burial ground within the ancient walls of Ypres. The cemetery was begun in November 1914 by French troops defending the city and was used by Commonwealth troops from February 1915 until April 1918, by which time the Western Front had moved away from Ypres.Website
30 minutes from the hotel.